- Moonlight my ass!
- The HUMBLER
- Who’s the top-selling pianist in history?
- Fly Away :(
- The Mozarts of Hair Metal
- How To Compose Today
- What time is it?
- Twins separated at birth
- To hear the world in a single note and heaven in a triad
- RIP Elliott Carter, Maestro of Thorny Complexity
- Monster Mashup
- May the best man wi… Oh, damn!
- Music for driving into trees: Sweet Wine
- Music for driving into trees
- My Favorite Things
- Mammas Please Let Your Babies Grow Up to Play Cowbells
- Claret for Clara
- Last of the Bohemians
- Guy walks into a bar
- How to break a heart with one chord
- What are oboes good for?
September 01, 2016
Moonlight my ass!
That was Beethoven’s publisher’s slimy means to milk a few deutsche marks from the sheet music buying frauleins.
Listen — in that slow first movement — to those prolonged, aching minor ninths, slouching into wince-worthy major sevenths. Ouch!
Moonlight my ass. More a cri de coeur: God, why are you doing this to me!?
Then there’s that hair-on-fire third movement. Pain becomes rage, and ol’ Ludwig SHREDS it, middle finger to the heavens.
Though Beethoven imagined it, the instrument had not yet been built that could do justice to this sonata. I’m guessing ol’ Louie would’ve adored this shredder’s version.